Series – Nature of Church
Review – studies so far
We began with Matt 16: 13 – 28
From the passage we noted the following pillars of Church
- Personal questions – what do you think?
- God prepares us with message of repentance (John) / prophecy (Elijah/Jeremiah)
- But we need the revelation of Jesus as the Christ
- Has to be given by the Father
- Christ builds his Church
- The Gates of Hell will not prevail – (we storm the gates / Hell’s strategies fail)
- Keys of the Kingdom are given to the Church (To bind and to loose)
- Strategic silence (knowing when to speak and when to wait for God’s timing)
Development of the early church
In our first Early Church Bible Study, we skipped Church Version 2 (Jerusalem) and looked that the Church in Antioch. (Acts 11).
We looked to see evidence of the above pillars. What do you remember?
We saw how persecution had caused the spread of believers, and as the Church became established in Antioch, Jerusalem sent Barnabus to them. Then Barnabus looked for Saul/Paul.
Barnabus was full of the Holy Spirit AND faith.
Prophets give guidance and trigger practical actions (Agabus)
Giving is organised each according to his abilities.
Acts 13:1 – 3 Prophets and Teachers. Setting apart.